The proposed itinerary (subject to minor alterations)
is as follows:
- Fly UK to
Preferably from Luton in the mid afternoon. Ryan Air flies from Luton to Reus which leaves at 13.40 and lands at 16.45. The flight returns at 17.10 on Monday 14th
May to land in Luton at 18.25.
- Collected by coach and taken to Hostal Sport in Falset. Arrive
- 1900 Welcoming dinner at La Piscina, Falset followed by a showing
of “Pessic de Priorat” produced by NJLM on the XV Brigade at Marša
before and after the Battle of the Ebro. Presented by Angela Jackson in the Wine Co-operative, Falset. Wine tasting during
the programme. Brief by tour leader.
May – Theme “Tour behind the Lines”
- 0900. Collected by coach from hotel. Tour to include:-
- Marša . HQ of the XVth International Brigade before and after
the battle of the Ebro.
- John Cookson’s grave
- Chabolla valley & route of the Brigade as they were withdrawn
to Barcelona in October 1938.Visit to where Robert Capa photographed Alun Menai Williams marching with British Battalion banner.
El Pradell where a hospital train was based during the battle. Visit to the fossa commune of the fatally wounded nearby.
- NJLM exhibition of photos from the Tamiment collection in La
- Lunch at La Placa restaurant (to be confirmed)
- Coach to the Cave hospital at La Bisbal de Falset where Harry
Dobson is buried after having been wounded on Hill 481 during the battle.
- Cross the Ebro at Asco
- Scattering of Michael O’Riordan’s ashes on the Ebro
- Ossuary at Les Camposines War Memorial
- Trenches at Les Devees (Hill 536) near Fatarella
- 1800 Register at Hotel Pique in Gandesa
- Visit to Centre
d’Estudis Batalla de l’Ebre Museum (http://www.tinet.org/~cebe/angles/indexing.htm ) by foot
- Showing of Alun Menai Williams’ “Return to the Battlefields
of Spain” in English and Catalan at the museum.
- 21.00-2300 Dinner at Hotel Pique
Sunday 13th May – Theme “The Battle of the Ebro
and the turning point of the SCW”
- 0930 Depart Hotel by coach
- Corbera. 115 Dies
Interpretation Centre (http://www.batallaebre.org/ )(not fully open). Visit to La Trinxeras museum (http://www.ebreguia.com/latrinxera/). Visit to the Old village of Corbera.
- Hill 705
- 1400 - 1500 Packed lunch at the Hermitage at Santa Magdalena
- Visit to the Museum “Voices
from the Battlefield” museum at El Pinell del Brai (http://www.batallaebre.org/)
- Showing of film “Voices from a Mountain” directed
by David Leach on the XV Brigade Memorial in the lecture theatre of the museum at El Pinell de Brai. Questions and answers
from the floor
- Either - Hike from main road to the Monument to the XVth International
Brigade (Only for the very fit and well shod). We wish to raise funds for the IBMT/NJLM
by sponsoring those going. Or visit
to Hill 481/ Els Barrancs trench system north of Vilalba des Arcs
- Rejoining of the groups
- Meal at Restaurant Angel, El Pinell de Brai (to be confirmed)
- Return to Hotel Pique
Either a visit to where Frank West and George Wheeler were captured
on the last day of action of the British Battalion. Frank West’s daughter will be with the group and will say a few
words. Or to Hill 356 where the battalion was called to retake the position in
early September. This will depend on accessibility for the coach.
Coach to Reus airport
and return to the UK . (Owing to flight
times, the Irish group who wish to fly back to Dublin may
not be able to attend this)